Project Thunder is an IRS registered 501(c)3 not for profit organization with a mission to mold underserved youth into successful citizens. We strive to be a support system that instills academic excellence, through stimulating their desire to learn and teaching them life skills. This is accomplished by merging their creative minds with opportunities to explore the many possibilities for their future.
Project Thunder students receive:
- Tutoring to pass New York State Regents tests.
- Engage in interactive discussions with high school honor roll students and college students.
- Receive mentoring from health professionals, elected officials, law enforcement personnel, lawyers, judges, artists, athletes.
- Go on field trips to museums, job fairs, correctional facilities and sporting events.
- Attend cultural and social events throughout the year.
After participating with the program thoughout the school year, our students receive an annual achievement ceremony. At this event, we honor our students for their participation with a dinner with parents, tutors and mentors follows.
As a result of all of these activities we have seen the rates of Project Thunder students achieving honor roll status rise over the years from under 50% to 70% to 92% in 2011-2012.